arts & crafts

Today I sewed for the first time. I'm talking about using a real sewing machine and working on a project bigger than sewing on a loose button. It's actually pretty surprising because my mother and soon to be mother-in-law are masters at sewing. But one thing that I never really appreciated about my mom until today is that she never tried to force her passions onto me. I think I inherited a love of creating from her, but my medium of choice was always crocheting/knitting or jewelry making. I never got into sewing, and that was okay with her.

I appreciate that so much now that I am older and someday (far away, hopefully) will be a mother myself. If I have a daughter, I hope that I can impart a love of creating but also give my daughter the free choice to choose whatever medium she loves, even if I am terrible at it. (Like painting, which she can go to her Aunt Tessa for.)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good for you! I just broke out my sewing machine a few months ago to make baby blankets for some friends. That's awesome that you can trace your love for creating things to your mom. I got the crafty bug from my mom, and for sure got a love for entertaining from Grammie - love it!

Can't wait to see what burlap goodness you created!